Monday, September 8, 2014

Breathing Some Soul into the Sole

The restoration of S/V SeaSprite is progressing well. Refinishing the cabin sole was the latest undertaking. The Sea Sprite 30s were not finished with the traditional teak and holly but rather a sole of what I suppose is solid teak planks with a dark mahogany finish. At any rate, while the sole was in decent condition it was clear that refinishing would dramatically improve the appearance of the interior. 

When I first purchased S/V SeaSprite I spent some time thoroughly cleaning the wood interior, to include the sole, with Murphy's Oil Soap and then oiled everything with Lemon Oil. That revealed the beauty of the interior wood work and joinery but unfortunately the results were temporary as the oil dried over time and the dull appearance returned. 



The solution was obvious. The sole would have to be refinished. Not having much experience in the wood refinishing department I checked in with Buster Phipps at Phipps Boatworks. Buster indicated it would be an easy enough job.  Just use some 220 grit sandpaper to sand/clean the floors. Then apply 3-4 coats of Helmsman Semi-Gloss Spar Urethane to the sole with the requisite sanding between coats.




After an initial sanding with 220 grit sandpaper

Access Cover Sanded

V-Berth After 3 Coats





I would like to post a photo of the entire salon but the glare off the cabin sole was too strong. Hopefully when the project is completed I will be able to get some better photos.

So what's next? Well, I will apply at least one more coat and maybe go with a 5th coat. Another really large project that continues to progress is the slow removal of the old deck paint that was applied to the non-skid by a previous owner many years ago. Eventually I'd like to repaint the entire deck but that may have to wait until I have more confidence in my own skills or the $$$$ to pay for someone else's. Finally, I still need to refinish the exterior teak and replace those horrible looking dorade cowl vents. 

More importantly, I have scheduled a launch the week of 22 September and hope to be moving S/V SeaSprite south soon afterwards.  Stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment